Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Charles Klaveness

You have no idea who Charles Klaveness is, but almost everyone who has written headlines for newspapers does. He's an editor at the New York Times now, but when I knew him he was at Newsday. He was a legend. I was an intern.

But Charles spent an enormous amount of time mentoring me, and he and his lovely wife (and accomplished author), Janet, hosted me on a couple of return trips to New York over the years.

Among other things, Charles has won numerous national awards for his headlines, and an editor at the Times calls him perhaps the greatest headline writer ever. He is.

Anyway, I just read a story from the Times on Charles' retirement.

Here's the kicker: Charles was the greatest headline writer ever at Newsday. But I twice beat him for headline of the month. The awards were announced after I left the paper, and I never would have known I had won ... except that Charles made sure I found out.

Charles is a giant. He's not famous to you, but he is to me.

No comments: